In Matthew 25:35-36, Jesus reminds us that we must care for those in our midst: “For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.” So as a community that strives to put our faith into action, St. John Fisher Catholic Community is strongly committed to serving those in need in our local area.
Our ministry volunteers serve a broad range of people through a variety of activities including:
- Agape – Brings food, cleaning products, and clothing to the poor in Tijuana several times a year. Helping hands, drivers with utility vehicles, and those willing to help with meetings are always welcome.
- Crafters for Christ – Lovingly makes handcrafted items, such as baby booties and blankets, for the homeless and those in need. A ministry for those who like to knit, quilt, or do other crafts while helping others at the same time.
- Food Drive – Four times a year, St. John Fisher parishioners fill brown bags with food for the working poor. We are always looking for people to help collect the bags of food and donated money after Mass.
- Hot Meal Ministry – Buys, prepares, cooks, and serves hot evening meals to the homeless in Long Beach and San Pedro; to children at Toberman House in San Pedro; and to those who simply can’t make ends meet.
- Military Ministry – Support the men and women who serve our country through prayers and practical deeds expressing God’s love and mercy.
- PV Resale Thrift Shop – Sells donated items and distributes the proceeds quarterly to many local charities. Volunteers help with merchandising and sales. Every hour you volunteer earns you a vote for our quarterly distributions.
- Respect Life – Informs parishioners on pro-life issues, encourages participation in pro-life activities, and sponsors speakers.
- Sandwich Ministry – Makes sandwiches for distribution to the homeless in the South Bay.
- Saturday Street Ministry – Make and distribute sandwiches, drinks, pastries and blankets to homeless and less fortunate people in downtown LA, supporting the efforts of the Missionaries of Charity Brothers.
We invite you to learn more about each of these very important ministries, and would be delighted to have you join us as part of this community effort.
Misty Jesse, Director of Evangelization 310-377-4573 ext 130 firstname.lastname@example.org